Aguas Calientes, also known as Machu Picchu Pueblo, is a popular tourist destination in Peru due to its famous citadel of Machu Picchu. In addition to being a starting point for visiting Machu Picchu, its strategic location, tourist services, accommodation options, gastronomy, and multicultural atmosphere make it a key place for travelers who want to explore the majesty of Machu Picchu and enjoy an unforgettable experience in the region.
Relax in the Hot Springs
The hot springs of Machu Picchu Pueblo, also known as Aguas Calientes, are a prominent attraction for visitors seeking relaxation and a moment of tranquility after exploring Machu Picchu and its surroundings. It features pools with different temperatures.
Visit the Manuel Chávez Ballón Site Museum
The Manuel Chávez Ballón Site Museum in Machu Picchu Pueblo is a place of great importance for those who want to explore and better understand the history and culture of the ancient Inca city of Machu Picchu. Here is a unique description of this museum:
- Location and history: The museum is strategically located in Machu Picchu Pueblo, near the entrance to the famous citadel of Machu Picchu. It was inaugurated in honor of Peruvian archaeologist Manuel Chávez Ballón, who conducted important research and studies on Machu Picchu.
- Collection and exhibits: The museum houses a valuable collection of artifacts and archaeological objects discovered at the Machu Picchu site. These exhibits provide a fascinating insight into the life and culture of the ancient Inca civilization. Among the displayed objects are ceramics, tools, textiles, and other artifacts of great historical value.
- Interpretation and explanation: The Manuel Chávez Ballón Site Museum offers a detailed interpretation and explanation of the history and significance of Machu Picchu. Through informative panels, audiovisual materials, and specialized guides, visitors can gain a deeper understanding of the mysteries and achievements of this archaeological wonder.
Shopping at the Craft Market
The Craft Market of Machu Picchu Pueblo is a vibrant and charming place where visitors can explore and acquire beautiful handmade products. Here is a description of this market:
- Location and atmosphere: The market is located in the heart of Machu Picchu Pueblo, right next to the train station. Its strategic location makes it accessible and convenient for tourists visiting Machu Picchu. The market has a lively and colorful atmosphere, with craft stalls arranged in an open space.
- Variety of products: The market offers a wide variety of artisanal products, representing the rich Peruvian culture. Visitors can find traditional textiles such as ponchos, shawls, and decorative textiles. There are also wooden sculptures, hand-painted ceramics, silver jewelry, and leather products, among others. Each item reflects the skill and creativity of local artisans.
- Quality and authenticity: The Craft Market of Machu Picchu Pueblo stands out for offering high-quality and authentic products. Local artisans strive to preserve traditional techniques and use natural materials, ensuring the authenticity and durability of the products.
Visit the Plaza de Armas
The Plaza de Armas in Machu Picchu Pueblo is an important place for visitors, as it is the city center and a popular meeting point. The plaza is home to some of the oldest and most emblematic buildings in the city, such as the church and the train station. Additionally, there are several shops and restaurants surrounding the plaza, where tourists can relax and enjoy the view. The Plaza de Armas is an ideal place to start exploring the city and plan visits to Machu Picchu and other nearby locations.
Take photos at the Ruinas Bridge
The Ruinas Bridge in Machu Picchu Pueblo is a historic structure and a tourist point of interest. This ancient bridge, built with stone and wood, is located on the outskirts of the village and offers a stunning view of the surroundings. In addition to its architectural beauty, the Ruinas Bridge has historical significance as it was part of the ancient Inca road system that connected Machu Picchu with other regions. Visitors can cross the bridge and enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes, as well as take memorable photographs. It is an ideal place for nature lovers and photography enthusiasts.
Visit the Mandor Botanical Garden
The Mandor Botanical Garden in Machu Picchu Pueblo is an oasis of biodiversity and natural beauty. Located a few kilometers from the village, this garden is a paradise for flora and fauna lovers. With an extensive variety of plants, trees, and flowers, the Mandor Botanical Garden offers a peaceful and relaxing environment for strolling and enjoying nature.
Well-maintained trails lead through lush forests, waterfalls, and streams, providing visitors with the opportunity to explore and discover the rich biological diversity of the region. In addition to its impressive flora, the garden is home to a large number of birds and butterflies, making it an ideal place for birdwatchers and photography enthusiasts.
Engage in Hiking
Hiking in Machu Picchu Pueblo offers a unique experience for adventure and nature lovers. With its privileged location amidst stunning mountains and lush vegetation, this charming village is the ideal starting point for exploring nearby hiking trails.
There are gentler and more accessible hiking routes that allow you to explore the surroundings of Machu Picchu Pueblo. These trails wind through beautiful landscapes, such as waterfalls, forests, and rivers, providing hikers with the opportunity to admire the local flora and fauna.
Enjoy Local Gastronomy
The local cuisine of Machu Picchu Pueblo is diverse and offers a wide variety of traditional Peruvian dishes. Visitors can try dishes such as ceviche, causa rellena, lomo saltado, ají de gallina, and rocoto relleno. Additionally, there are also vegetarian and vegan options available. The area is also known for its coffee and chocolate production, providing an opportunity to taste high-quality local products. There are several restaurants and cafes in the town where you can savor these delicious culinary choices.
Tips and Recommendations for Machu Picchu Pueblo
How to get to the Machu Picchu Citadel from Aguas Calientes
From Aguas Calientes, there are two main ways to reach Machu Picchu. The first option is to take a bus that will take you to the entrance of the citadel. These buses depart frequently, and the journey takes approximately 30 minutes. It’s important to note that there is an additional cost for the bus ticket.
The second option is to hike from Aguas Calientes to the entrance of Machu Picchu. This hike, known as the “climb to Machu Picchu,” follows a steep trail and offers breathtaking panoramic views. The estimated time for the hike is around 1 hour and 30 minutes, but it may vary depending on each person’s pace.
Tips for visiting Machu Picchu
Here are some tips for your visit to Machu Picchu:
- Reserve your tickets in advance: Due to high demand.
- Arrive early: To enjoy the tranquility and beauty of Machu Picchu.
- Hire a guide: To make the most of your visit.
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear: Machu Picchu is located in a mountainous area.
- Bring water and snacks: During your visit, it’s important to stay hydrated.
- Respect the site: Machu Picchu is a sacred and protected place.
- Enjoy the scenery: Machu Picchu offers breathtaking panoramic views of the mountains and surrounding jungle.
Tips for Choosing Accommodation
Some tips for choosing accommodation in Aguas Calientes are:
- Location: It is advisable to choose accommodation that is located near the train station to facilitate access to Machu Picchu.
- Amenities: It is important to choose accommodation that offers the necessary amenities for a comfortable stay, such as clean and comfortable rooms, private bathroom, Wi-Fi, breakfast included, among others.
- Prices: Aguas Calientes is a tourist area, so prices tend to be slightly higher. However, it is possible to find accommodation options that fit different budgets.
- Reviews and ratings: It is recommended to read the reviews and ratings of other travelers about the accommodations you are interested in, to get an idea of the experience they have had and make an informed decision.
- Advance booking: It is advisable to make a reservation for accommodation in advance, especially during high season, to ensure availability and good prices.
Climate and Time of Year
Machu Picchu Pueblo is located in a mountainous region and its climate is influenced by its location in the high jungle of the Peruvian Andes. Here is some information about the weather and time of year in Machu Picchu Pueblo:
- weather: The weather in Machu Picchu Pueblo is subtropical and humid throughout the year. The average temperature varies between 12 °C and 24 °C, being warmer during the day and cooler at night.
- High and low season: The high season in Machu Picchu Pueblo corresponds to the months of June to August. The low season corresponds to the months of December to March, when the influx of tourists is lower.
Transportation in Aguas Calientes
Aguas Calientes is a small town and therefore can be explored on foot. However, there is a unique transportation option available, such as buses that take visitors from Aguas Calientes to the entrance of the Machu Picchu archaeological site.
Machu Picchu tours
Up to 10% OFF
Classic Machu Picchu 5 days
Activities and excursions
Up to 10% OFF
Unforgettable Machu Picchu 8 days
Activities and excursions
View All Machu Picchu Tours